Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Suspect in Home Invasion Claims Innocency











































































WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) -



This suspect claims he is innocent of a deadly home invasion.  His words are in quotes with Statement Analysis in bold type. 

What would be the first thing you would say if you were falsely arrested for murder?  Most people would say "I didn't do it"

Zeer Cannady claimed he was innocent during an interview Tuesday morning of all charges related to the June 13 home invasion murder of Aaron McGhee.

Now that he is in jail, he said he must wait to dispute the charges legally."I don't know who got killed. I don't know when that even happened. I don't know nothing. I was home all day," the suspect pleaded.

Note that he states that he does not know "who" got killed. 
Note that he states he does not know the timing of the killing with the word "when"
In a truthful denial we look for three components.  If there is more than three, or less than three, it is unreliable.  
1.  The pronoun "I"
2.  the past tense verb "didn't" or "did not"
3.  Specific allegation answered.   

"I did not kill him."  

"I'm going to sit here and wait for trial. Ain't nothing else I can do. What else can you do when you don't know nothing at all?" questioned the suspect.

The first sentence is always important.  Here he gives us his body posture, which indicates an increase in tension.   He also uses second person language and does not deny killing the victim.   He began with "I", but moved to "you"
Cannady claims "they" probably didn't have a reason to put him behind bars and that he shouldn't have been charged for having a firearm.
"What firearm did y'all find? Where? I have no guns. Never did have a gun," he stated.
"I have no guns" is present tense and may be truthful.  At this time, he has no guns.  Yet "Never did have a gun" drops the pronoun "I" from his language, reducing commitment.   We cannot say that he "never" had a gun because he refuses to say so.  
Cannady said he has lived in the Houston Moore community for the past two years, and there is a possibility he was out and about at some time the day of the shooting. However, he said most of the day he was at his residence.
"If I wasn't home like the whole day, I was probably out," explained Cannady. "They say it happened in Garden Lake. Houston Moore and Garden Lake are right next to each other. I be in Garden lake every day."
"Probably" reduces commitment.  Previously, he was home all day.  Now he allows for him to be out.  
Despite his frequent appearances in the neighborhood, he said he was unaware of any home invasion incident before he was taken into custody.
"I don't know if I was in Garden Lake at that time. I don't know when this happened. I don't know who died," Cannady said.
He again denies knowing who died and when, but not the killing.  

The suspect did admit he had committed crimes in his past. He said he had served 13 months in jail for carjacking.
"I robbed someone with a BB gun. I didn't even want to do it. It was just something to do. I was bored. I was young and stupid," explained Cannady. "I did my time and I learned. I got a child on the way. I can't keep doing stupid [explicit]."
Note that he now does admit to owning a gun, a "BB gun"
Note that he disassociates from the crime, not wanting to "even" do it, but it was "just something to do."  
At one point during the interview Cannady was told to ‘watch his mouth' by New Hanover County Sheriff's deputies because he was using profanity. He became frustrated and directed retaliatory comments at the deputies.
"She tellin' me to watch my mouth. What you mean? How are you supposed to feel if you were in here for the rest of your life for murder that you didn't do?" asked Cannady of the deputies.
He avoids using the pronoun "I" instead uses the distancing pronoun, "you"; "you" are there for the rest of "your" life for a murder that "you" didn't do.  
The suspect was told to quiet down. Shortly after that, a fire alarm interrupted the interview. When Cannady returned, a deputy informed him that his attorney was present to speak with him.
"I gotta go see my lawyer. I can come back if they let me," explained Cannady.
The suspect never returned. A deputy informed the reporter that Cannady would not be continuing the interview.
Sheriff's deputies at the New Hanover County Jail said Cannady will make a video first appearance at 2 p.m. in the New Hanover County Courthouse.

To see the interview with Cannady tune into WECT News later today.

8 comments:

John Mc Gowan said...

"I'm going to sit here and wait for trial. Ain't nothing else I can do. What else can you do when you don't know nothing at all?


"I'm going to sit here and wait for trial. Ain't nothing else I can do."


It is interesting that he takes ownership of theses two sentences ("I'm, I") when he is unable to control where he is. However, when he is able to control the flow of information, he drops the pronoun "I" and reduces his commitment by using the second person "you", (Distancing language). Add to that the double negative, and, the extra words "At all" thus reducing reliability further. "What else can you do when you don't know nothing at all?"

C5H11ONO said...

I can't keep doing stupid [explicit]."

-Is this a confession of sorts? Was he talking to himself here? He's stating in the present tense that he can't keep doing (this means continuing to do stupid "stuff".) So if it is in present tense, is he talking to himself about doing things that land him in jail, like MURDER for example.

Tania Cadogan said...

off topic


Published June 18, 2014
Associated Press


DAYTON, Ohio – Police in Ohio say a white bus driver's story that a religious book in his shirt pocket blocked bullets as he was attacked by three black men isn't supported by evidence and testing.

Rickey Wagoner had told police he was outside his Dayton city bus in February when the men assaulted him. He told police that two bullets hit a book containing Bible verses and that one hit his leg and that he was stabbed in the arm.

The case was investigated as a possible hate crime.

Police did not say Wagoner made up the story and didn't explain why he would have made the report. They did say it appeared he owed on back taxes.

No criminal charges have been filed. The Dayton transit agency says it has charged Wagoner with violating employee standards.

A recording at a listing for Wagoner said the voice mail was full.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/18/bus-driver-story-that-book-blocked-bullets-in-gang-attack-doesnt-hold-water/


Darn that pesky number 3 :)

PiscesDreamer said...

OT:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/18/ny-boy-5-death-investigated/5593295/

"My sweet baby Garnett has been declared brain dead. It can't even be possible. That's my baby boy. I'm not ready to let him go." -- Lacey Spears, in a Jan. 22 Facebook post

My sweet baby Garnett has been declared brain dead. It can't even be possible. That's my baby boy. I'm not ready to let him go.

I read in another article LE allegedly found searches on her computer relating to how administering high levels of sodium would affect her son.

Her statement, "I'm not ready to let him go," stood out to me. It made me feel like she felt she was in control, and was surprised when things went unexpectedly, resulting in his death.

John Mc Gowan said...

OT.

Elvis family seeks community contributions for book about Heather's life

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/25808229/elvis-family-seeks-community-contributions-for-book-about-heathers-life

Tania Cadogan said...

further to the bus driver's story

BBM

A white bus driver's story that a religious book in his shirt pocket blocked bullets as he was attacked by three black men isn't supported by evidence and testing, Dayton police said Wednesday as they closed the case, which had been investigated as a possible hate crime.

Rickey Wagoner, 49, told police he was outside his city bus Feb. 24 when men assaulted him.

He said that two bullets hit the inch-thick book containing Bible verses and that one hit his leg and that he was stabbed in the arm, according to a police report.

The report also said Wagoner told police he grabbed the gun and shot at the fleeing men.

Wagoner had told police that the assailants were black and that he thought the attack might have been a gang initiation.

According to the New York Post, Wagoner called a 911 dispatcher stating: 'I've been hit in the leg. My chest feels like I've been hit with a sledgehammer.'

He later told police that one of the alleged attackers had told another that he needed to 'shoot a polar bear... if you want to be all the way in the club.'

'Polar bear' is a term for a white person, the supposed use of which gave the FBI reason ton investigate Wagoner's story as a potential hate crime.

But his account wasn't found to be factual, Police Chief Richard Biehl said at a news conference.

'This assault, as reported, is not true, not accurate,' Biehl said.

Police did not say Wagoner made up the story and didn't explain why he would have made the report.

Biehl did say it appeared Wagoner owed on back taxes.

A recording at a phone listing for Wagoner said the voice mail could not accept more messages.

No criminal charges have been filed.

But the Greater Dayton Regional Transit Authority said Wednesday that it has charged Wagoner with violating its employee standards.

Police did extensive testing, including simulating the shots fired into the book.

Read more: Biehl said it wasn't credible to believe that bullets didn't pass through the book into Wagoner.

Biehl also said that only Wagoner's DNA was found at the scene and that his injuries weren't consistent with defensive wounds.

A blue bandana found at the scene was found to have only dog hairs on it, and a surveillance video that captured the bus recorded the sound of five gunshots when Wagoner claimed that there were only three fired.

Wagoner's screams can be heard on the video however on the 911 call the 320-pound bus driver does not appear winded despite claiming he'd run up to 300 feet and fought for his life

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2661977/Bus-driver-lies-religious-book-pocket-blocking-bullet-killing-him.html

he is guilty said...

"I don't know who got killed. I don't know when that even happened. I don't know nothing. I was home all day," the suspect pleaded.

key words;
killed and that

After he gives himself an out,
"If I wasn't home like the whole day, I was probably out,"

keywords becomes;
this and died

"I don't know if I was in Garden Lake at that time. I don't know when this happened. I don't know who died,"

and note that the order has become reversed.


"I robbed someone with a BB gun. I didn't even want to do it.
sets the meaning for his use of the word "even" in his other sentence;
"I don't know when that even happened."

Michele said...

"I don't know who got killed. I don't know when that even happened. I don't know nothing. I was home all day," the suspect pleaded.
How can he know he was home when it happened? He says "i don't know when that even happened"